don't try the shortcut. it won't work.

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 00:11:42 EST

so when I started taking the transfer case apart, I found out that I
missed one of the C clips - the one that controls the placement of the
rear output shaft, so the chain had the possibility of making a lot of
noise.

I rolled the dice by replacing the C clip and putting the tail housing
back on. I reassembled the truck, but still had noise - just less.

the case is ready to come back out from under the truck now (drained
and completely disconnected).... I haven't decided whether I'll take
it apart tonight or go to sleep first. I think the latter might be a
better plan.

I'll need to replace the magnet that I forgot to put it in (dropped it
and it shattered) and dismantle the case completely to replace the
outer ring gear that the planetary rides on. I also need another quart
of fluid and more Right Stuff (damn I like that stuff), so I couldn't
finish it tonight if I wanted to.

grr.....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota CC 0x4 318 (Borked)   '84 RamCharger 4x4 360 (DD)