Re: Lifting a 01' Dakota 4WD

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 01:50:35 EST

On Jan 8, 2004, at 22:42, andy levy wrote:

>> I plan on replacing my 275-65VR17 Nitto NT-404's with a set of
>> 305-60VR17 Nitto's this Spring.
>> They fit fine under the rear of the Dakota on my 17x9 R/T rims, the
>> fronts are where the issue is.
>> I need to raise the front enough to level it out and get the need
>> clearence for the frame and the NEW bumper cover.........
>> I think a 2" lift will do it, but I'm not sure the torsion bars will
>> get me enough adjustment......any thoughts guy's?

haven't gotten the original yet, so I'll have to go with quoting andy.

2" is more than you want to go with the torsion bars unless they've
sagged significantly (mine had, so the 1.5" crank that I got with my
tires is probably less than an inch over stock).

that width tire in that diameter will rub like a mofo on the frame. I
don't think torsion cranking will fix that problem - I'd expect that
you'll be limiting your turning radius unless Nitto really ignores the
numbers on the sidewall as they make the tire. of course many
companies do....

I don't know for certain if clearances are the same for the different
gen III front suspensions, but FWIW with about an inch over stock
height in front, I rub hard enough on the frame that I need throttle to
back up at full lock. I'm not even completely confident of their
clearance at lock=at the back of the front wheel wells when I'm twisted
up. Haven't had her offroad since I got them....

my actual tire dimensions on a 17*8 rim are
10.8" overall width
31.0" diameter
8.3" tread width
14.3" static radius

according to Yoko's published specs. by the sidewall numbers I ought
to be 10.4"x31.6".....

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech