Re: Tailgate won't latch!

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 22:26:22 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I don't know if the GenIII Dak is configured the same or not,
> but I just checked out my '01 Ram and the tailgate is basically
> the same as the '92, so chances are the Daks are built that way
> too. I took a few quick pics for you, see them here:
>
> http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/misc/andy/tailgate1.jpg
> http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/misc/andy/tailgate2.jpg
> http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/misc/andy/tailgate3.jpg
>
> The green arrows are pointing to a little "nub" which is
> in a slot right next to the latch. If I am correct in my
> assumption, then these little nubs are probably stuck partially
> or fully back (towards the back of the truck). If so, just
> push them forward. (They are in the fully forward position in
> the pics above.) On my Ram, I just push them forward with my
> thumb, but if they are frozen, you might need to try tapping
> them with a screwdriver and hammer, or maybe just pouring some
> hot water on them. (If you pour water on them, follow it up
> with some form of lubricant which will displace water.) There
> is one of these on each side; if you only push one forward
> the tailgate will latch, but it will only be latched on
> one side, so its best to do them both.

I saw those nubs while I was messing with it and thought they might have
something to do with it! But I wasn't about to go taking my gloves off
to see if they did anything.

We're careening toward 8 below now so I'll give that a shot in the
morning. Hopefully I have some WD-40 around.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------