RE: Re: Pre-Mag 318

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 13:22:42 EST

Well, ya know Bob, that's a good point and I didn't think to ask. I do
know the broken rod journal (the arm for the rod; perhaps I've been using
the wrong term) he showed me came out of a '69 Barracuda so my guess is it
came from a stroked 340. This car had been running low 10's but was not
shifted above 6200 rpm. I was told this was the 4th broken one he had seen
but he didn't mention what engines the others had been in. I can only tell
you that I saw where the casting failed... bearing surfaces looked great.
The engine this one came from supposedly was making well above 500 hp. He
feels the cranks would probably live at 500 hp but doesn't want to recommend
it at that level.

By contrast, a friend of mine is running a stock size cast crank in his 360
Daytona, runs high 10's and shifts at 7800 (roller cam) with no issues over
the past 3 years of racing it.

RayB