Re: Daytime running lights not working !

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 18:21:58 EST

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response.

> At 04:01 PM 1/11/04, you wrote:
> >On my 97 Dak when started this morning the DRL's did not come on as they
> >always do. So I checked fuses etc. and they are all fine, and all other
> >electronics (lights etc.) work normal.
>
> Check to see that the high beam hasn't accidently been left in the
activate
> mode
> by the steering column stalk.
>
> Check to see that there is no corrosion on the connector at the DRL module
> (black box attached to driver's fender wall near the battery) and that the
> connector is firmly attached.

I always wondered what that little black box was, thanks for letting me
know. I think I'll go out and play around with it for a bit.

> Just to make sure that the fuses are okay.
>
> The low-beam headlamps operate when the ignition switch is in the RUN
> position and the park brake switch OPEN. A circuit from the headlamp
> switch connects to the DRL module and is HOT at all times. It's protected
> by a 15 amp fuse in the Power Distribution Center. The ignition RUN feed
> is provided on a circuit protected by a 15 amp fuse in the junction box.

I checked both 15amp fuses in the PDC and the JB (the one by the driver's
side dash :-) and the're fine.

> >I'm just wondering if it could be related to the E -Brake cable as I know
when
> >you put the E-Brake on they go off, and once released they come back on.
>
> I didn't know that. I'll have to try it when it's a little warmer.

You didn't know that :-) even on my wife's Neon, she came back in and said
my daytime running lights don't work, so I asked her if the E-Brake was on
and she said yes so I said release it and, surprise, they came on .
Even the owner's manual for my Dak says this happens.

> Good luck! I wouldn't mind a follow-up once the problem has been
discovered.
> Just in case, eh :-)

If and when I do solve this I'll let you know, thanks eh! :-)
(We're just getting over -29C here in the BC interior.)

Jay