Re: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 16:57:22 EST

Sounds pretty fishy to me that you have that list of codes and they tell you
it's the timing chain.

Before doing anything I would have the codes run again. Autozone and places
like that will do it for you for free. Also, This is by no means exact but if
you get the timing mark on the balancer somewhere on the degree markings on the
cover, then remove the distributor cap. Turn the crank back and forth until you
see the rotor move in the distributor. If the slack is any more than a 3 or 4
degrees on the timing marks then you could have a worn timing set.

I looked at my Haynes 97-99 Dakota manual and your truck does not have the OHC
motor (I do not know what year they cahnged but it was prior to 97). It also
states that you must drop the oil pan to replace the tensioner (I was suprised
that it even had a tensiner, most OHV motors do not), that may be the reason
for the higher cost. Also, the tensioner has a lock and unlock postion. Could
be the dealer forgot to unlock it after installing the new set and now it worn
enough to cause a problem.

I would run the codes first. Also, if you get a code indicating a bad sensor
before running out and getting a new one pull the connectors and clean them.
One of the FSM for an old Daytona I had stated that something like 80% of the
time a code is thrown for a bad sensor it's really a bad connection.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4