Stupid question - how does MY 4WD work?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 21:26:39 EST

Hey guys-

  Thanks to all of you who have answered my previous questions. I'm
enjoying my new Dakota even more than my old one!

  This is my first 4WD, and I know the basics about how 4WD systems
work, but I don't really know how MINE works. Here's my truck:

2004 4x4 SXT
3.7L V6
42RLE
NV233 HD (part-time)

  Ok, I understand that the transmission drives the transfer case, and
the rear driveshaft is always engaged, but what about the front
driveshaft? I know older systems disengaged the front driveshaft from
the transfer case, and had manual locking hubs. I obviously don't have
manual hubs on mine, but do I have automatic hubs? I presume the front
driveshaft disengages from the transfer case. I guess what I'm
wondering is, does my front driveshaft spin even when I'm in 2WD?

Thanks,
Korey