Re: Stupid question - how does MY 4WD work?

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 21:44:41 EST

Korey Atterberry wrote:

> Hey guys-
>
> Thanks to all of you who have answered my previous questions. I'm
> enjoying my new Dakota even more than my old one!
>
> This is my first 4WD, and I know the basics about how 4WD systems
> work, but I don't really know how MINE works. Here's my truck:
>
> 2004 4x4 SXT
> 3.7L V6
> 42RLE
> NV233 HD (part-time)
>
> Ok, I understand that the transmission drives the transfer case, and
> the rear driveshaft is always engaged, but what about the front
> driveshaft? I know older systems disengaged the front driveshaft from
> the transfer case, and had manual locking hubs. I obviously don't have
> manual hubs on mine, but do I have automatic hubs? I presume the front
> driveshaft disengages from the transfer case. I guess what I'm
> wondering is, does my front driveshaft spin even when I'm in 2WD?

You do not have automatic hubs. The only disconnect is the transfer
case itself. When you flip the switch, it activates a motor which does
what the lever on the NV231 did - engage the front driveshaft. When
you're rolling down the road, your front axles, diff and driveshaft are
all spinning.

I made a lot of noise about the electronic 4WD knob when it came out in
'01, and I still would prefer to have the positive engagement I felt w/
my lever-operated 231 in my '99, but damn if the electronic ain't a hell
of a lot safer and more convenient.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------