Re: GPS INFO NEEDED

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 18:03:23 EST

"andy levy" <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote in message

> Why pull the headliner apart when the "brain" is probably a lot easier
> to get at? I think a lot of them are in the trunk.

I took the liberty of performing a quick google search (and gave my uncle a
call, he's a chevy tech) after I typed that and found several different ways
to disable the system on the Hypertech performance site. Apparently the
on-star box needs to communicate with the other parts of the car as well,
and doesn't jive well to a reprogram of the PCM. By this same token, I'd
imagine that it would throw codes if you were to permanently disable the
system. GM's use a serial bus link that connects everything (just like our
dodges have) however, they're hardware is considerably more chatty and
integrated than ours. For example, if you were to pull the factory radio
it'll trip a MIL, because some functions (like door chime, auto headlights,
etc) are adjusted by the user (owner) through the display on the radio.
It'll also throw a MIL if you take off the stock wheels and throw some
bitchin 20's on there, because the wheel sensors won't know what to do with
the input because it's so drasticly different than it would be with the
stock 16's. Perhaps disconnecting the antenna feed at the unit would work
better, and not cause the SES light to illuminate. My uncle couldn't really
give me too much information on disabling the system, he said nobody'd ever
asked him about that before and that most customers like onstar.

Oh, and apparently on most of the SUV's the box is in the dash behind the
glove compartment.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L