Re: Stupid question - how does MY 4WD work?

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 19:44:35 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:29:45 -0800 (PST), Korey Atterberry
<korey99@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:44:41 -0500
>> From: andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us>
>> Subject: Re: DML: Stupid question - how does MY 4WD work?
>>

>> > Here's my truck:
>> > 3.7L V6
>> > 42RLE
>> > NV233 HD (part-time)
> and
>> > the rear driveshaft is always engaged, but what about the front
>> > driveshaft? I know older systems disengaged the front driveshaft
> from
>> > the transfer case, and had manual locking hubs. I obviously don't
> have
>> > manual hubs on mine, but do I have automatic hubs? I presume the
> front
>> > driveshaft disengages from the transfer case. I guess what I'm
>> > wondering is, does my front driveshaft spin even when I'm in 2WD?
>>
>> You do not have automatic hubs. The only disconnect is the transfer
>> case itself. When you flip the switch, it activates a motor which
> does
>> what the lever on the NV231 did - engage the front driveshaft. When
>> you're rolling down the road, your front axles, diff and driveshaft
> are
>> all spinning.
>>
>> - -- - -andy
>
> Andy-
>
> That's what I figured... but if all of the front drivetrain is going
> to be spinning anyway, you're losing most of the gains in efficiency
> achieved by being in 2WD mode, I would think. In that case, why not be
> in "full-time" 4WD mode? I wonder why the full-time transfer case
> isn't available with the V6. It doesn't seem to me that a center diff
> would rob that much power, especially since you get the 3.92 gears
> anyway.
>
> Korey

You aren't losing any power. There is a noticeable different from beind in
4wd and 2wd as far as power goes. and the part time 4wd is different than
the full time. The full time has a differential between the front and the
rear axles.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota