Re: GPS INFO NEEDED

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 18:40:41 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:32:33 -0500, andy levy <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote:

> droo wrote:
>
>> I think you might need some FCC permit to broadcast a satelite signal. I
>> know direct tv is only downstream. And to do the pay per view stuff, it
>> operates over the telephone. I know with satelite internet connections,
>> you have have a licensed technician install it.
>
> Which GM would likely get issued to them (if required), as they own the
> system and it's not user-changable (in theory).
>
> OTOH, Motorola's Iridium phone system was all satellite-based and I don't
> recall hearing it required a license. Probably depends on the frequency
> you're using.

I went to the OnStar website to find out what I could. And they do use the
cellular phone system. They recently made a press release regarding an FCC
ruling that said wireless networks will not have to support analog signals
after 2008 and it addressed what onstar customers with the analog hardware
should do etc etc.

--
-Droo

http://www.grandroyal.org/dakota