Re: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 22:18:41 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilbur" <bwgreen@ocean.otr.usm.edu>
To: <dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: DML: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

> Bah, I should have checked the cylinder compression first....Well thanks
> for the help you guys have given me already...you saved me from dropping
> more money on the wrong parts. I disabled the fuel pump, grounded the
> coil, removed all the spark plugs, and hooked a cylinder pressure tester
> up to each of the cylinders in turn...very interesting what I discovered:
>
> Cylinder 1 no pressure what-so-ever...nada...zip
>
> Cylinder 2 ~160 psi
>
> Cylinder 3 ~135 psi
>
> Cylinder 4 ~142 psi
>
> Each of the last 3 cylinders at least sounded like there was compression
> as I cranked it over...on the first one, there was no sound of
> compression...
>
> I have not been able to detect any oil in the radiator or water in the
> oil...but maybe I should look harder by releasing some of each into
> containers to examine them in more detail....So where is all the
> pressure going from cylinder 1? Possible cracked block, or blown
> valves? Any idea the best way to proceed from here? Is there a better
> way to isolate where the pressure in cylinder 1 is escaping to? Sounds
> like I need to do some exploratory surgery. :) Any suggestions where
> to start?
>
> Wilbur

If you have an air compressor.. Put #1 @ TDC and pressurize(well have it
try to anyway) that cylinder.. listen for where your air is going.. check
cooling system for bubbling. oil fill cap for hissing.. listen at the
throttle body..
See if you can have a better idea as to where the problem is before you tear
into it.
Aaron Wyse