Re: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 11:42:30 EST

""Rick Barnes"" <barnesrv@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Josh,
>
> You blew a ring for that very reason..once you did the great valve job,
you
> increased the compression in the cylinder and the weakened rings could not
> hold the increased compression..viola, broken rings...common, and your
> advice is right on, (in my humble opinion). If you do a valve job, at
least
> replace the rings too.
>
> Rascal

that's what my uncle told me... (ase master certified mechanic) after the
fact, and while he was helping me replace the rings and smooth out the
slight cylinder wall scoring. If I was gonna do it now, I'd do it all at
once and save myself the extra headache later on.

learn from our mistakes Wilbur! If you end up having to have valves done,
do the rings now too so you don't have to do them later.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L