Re: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 19:01:06 EST

another way to hold the valve up is to fill the cylinder with a rope (at
BDC) and then then give the crank a little bump to compress it a little.

Personally.. I would just replace the one bad spring.. then do another
compression test. If all is well. Drive it another 50K miles or so before
I worry about anything else. Since a valve spring should not have broken in
the first place, assume it as more of a fluke break than an actual high
mileage problem. Make sure you do a couple of oil change fairlu close
together.. just in case any particles of spring are circulating around in
there.
Otherwise.. The valve may have actually damaged something that will require
more work. And you'll need to go in deeper.
Also.. glad you found the problem
Just my opinions.
Aaron Wyse