Re: RE: Re: Transmission Shifting in Sub Zero Temps

From: Tony Cellana (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 11:26:06 EST

>From the FSM (98 - pg 14-37, 99 - pg 14-36)

Used in automatics only (Well DUH).
Temp data is used for TC Clutch operation, overdrive shift, low temp shift
compensation, WOT shift stategy, and governor pressure transducer
calibration.

Futhermore 2000 FSM pg 21-440 adds:
shift strategy is also determined based on this sensors output. In the case
of a failure, trans temp is calced from a combination of Battery temp
sensor, Engine coolant temp, and in gear runtime since startup.

The temp range stuff I got from the 5* tech when my temp sensor failed.

Basically there are 3 shift strategies, cold, inbetween, and normal range.
If over temp is achieved (or percieved due to a bad sensor), OD and lockup
are disabled. Replacement of this sensor and internal solenoids gets rather
pricey as well. Been there done that on my 99 R/T with 46RE.

Tony