Re: Daytime running lights not working !

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 23:34:17 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
[...]
: I'd been wondering when this issue would come up in the discussion. I
: agree with josh - I don't like DRLs. However my problem is their
: implementation. I personally drive with my parking lights on (though I
: prefer to call them 'running lights' - blame boating/ end of aside),
: because it makes me visible to the front and rear, without distracting
: anyone. DRLs as often implemented add glare while at the same time
: only helping visibility to the front.

  Same here! In "questionable" situations I will usually put
my "parking lights" on (I, too prefer to call them "running
lights") I have heard that there are areas where this is
technically illegal - they are only supposed to be used when
parked - I dunno. Anyway, I use them to help people to see
me without distracting them with any glare. My next step, for
those vehicles which have them, is to switch on the fog lights
(aimed low!!), before going to the full blown low beams.

  If I need the lights to help *me* to see the road, I will
go with the low beams, but between "I need the lights on in
order to better see the road" and "there is no need to make
myself any more visible than I am", I use the parking and
fog lights to make myself more visible.

  This is something that anybody can do, no need for additional
equipment or laws.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'