Re: Cold Weather Starting

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 03:52:50 EST

Garret Lewis wrote:

> Well, with the onset of cold weather, I've had some problems with my Dakota.
> When I start up my Dak after it has been sitting for a couple of days, it
> fires right up but then cuts right off. It will not idle at all.

I had the exact symptoms on my '92, albeit during the summer. Couldn't
figure out what the heck it was for quite some time.

Is the crank strong? If not, then get the battery tested (actually, do
it anyway,) and I would highly suggest replacing it. I replaced the
battery in my situation, and that solved all my starting issues. My
understanding is that the coughing and reluctance to idle is because the
PCM loses it's adaptations for your engine if the battery doesn't supply
enough juice.

If the crank is strong, you may want to check what Bernd suggested RE:
the coolant temp sensor.