Subwoofer noise

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 13:41:21 EST

Hey guys,

    For awhile now, my subs are making some noise that gets to be pretty
annoying.. I've setup the system myself (wiring, Box and all)..
Basically, what I get is a fast repeating thumping noise coming from the
subs. I don't seem to be getting it from the factory speakers though. At
first I thought maybe corrosion at the battery terminal/post might be the
cause, but I completely redid that (stripped all the wiring at the terminal,
new termnal, clean posts, the works).. Think it got a little better, but
it's still quite noticable. I do not think it's alternator noise because it
still does it while engine is off and the noise doesn't change with
fluctuating RPM like alternator noise usually does. I could probably use a
better ground, but I did give it a better ground temporarily, and that
didn't change a thing... Here's the setup

Kenwood CD Receiver
Kenwood Crossover (dash type, I have it mounted on underside of dash,
probably 1/4 DIN size)
Punch 800w Amplifier
4 12's (2 Kenwoods, 2 JL - forget which types, not the high price ones
though)
2 Kenwoods are bridged on 1 channel, 2 JL's are bridged on the other

Wondering if maybe some wiring isn't well protected behind my receiver.
Any other thoughts???

Thanks,

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2 Auto