problem: miss? at idle

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 08:23:17 EST

  My truck has recently developed a problem and I thought someone might know
the cause. Here are the symptoms. After the truck is warmed up and I come
to a stop (like at a red-light), the truck seems to miss. By “miss” I mean
that I can hear a “tick” noise along with a shake of the truck. I’ve
watched the tach when this happens and it does jump down. I’ve even noticed
the reflection of my headlights on the car sitting in front of me dim when
it misses. The “miss” happens for only a split second. Sometimes the
misses are single and spread out by 5 seconds or so and sometimes they come
in clusters. However, it’s never been bad enough that I think the truck is
about to die.
  Other things I’ve noticed is that it doesn’t seem to do it at the first
stop or two I make when it’s cold. Also, it will not do it if I slip the
transmission (auto) into neutral or park. It only does it in gear and at
idle. The truck runs smooth as silk in neutral and park and when moving
down the road. Also, there’s no check engine light.
  All the usual maintenance stuff (plugs, wires, etc.) should be ok. I even
removed and cleaned the throttle body recently but it didn’t help with the
problem. I’ve had the problem for a couple months I guess. I thought it
might magically correct itself, but it doesn’t seem like that’s going to
happen.
  Any suggestions as to what to check would be great.
Thanks.
--Aaron—
95 DSRC 4x4 V6

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime