RE: RE: Lube coming from front driverside dust cap

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (fasstdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 22:06:50 EST

NO: 02-06-99 Rev. A
SUBJECT: Front Wheel Bearing Grease Is Evident On The Bearing Seal Area.
DATE: Dec. 17, 1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 02-06-99, DATED JUNE 11,
1999, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED
WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE THE ADDITION OF 4X2 MODELS AND ADDITIONAL
MODEL YEARS.

DISCUSSION:
Front wheel bearings may be incorrectly diagnosed as faulty due to the
evidence of wheel bearing grease on the bearing seal areas. This grease
purge is a normal design condition. The factory fill of the bearings
includes a slightly greater amount of grease than is required for the
bearing lifetime lubricant. A portion of the grease purges through the
self-venting seal in the initial few thousand miles to form an additional
barrier in the area of the seal and the stamped slinger. This barrier aids
in the prevention of contaminants passing through the seal and into the
bearing. Do not remove or clean the purged grease as part of normal
maintenance due to the fact that it provides additional protection and once
removed, damage to the seal and bearing could result.

NOTE: UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS, THERE MAY BE A SPLATTERING OF GREASE RADIALLY
OUTWARD ON THE STEERING KNUCKLE FROM THE GREASE BARRIER AREA THAT CAN BE AS
THICK AS 4 MM (0.125 IN.).

Front wheel bearings should be replaced only if:

The seal shows visible damage
The bearing endplay is greater than 0.13 mm (0.005 in.)
The bearing was operated without the proper clamping force from the spindle
nut
The bearing has a rough, sticky feel when rotated