help with leaking A518 trans?

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 22:29:22 EST

Hey folks,

Its a long, frustrating story that I won't bore anyone with unless asked, but I have a 96 Ram with an A518 auto. The trans is leaking about 2 qrts a week, leaving clear and obvious puddles anytime and anywhere I park more than 15 minutes. I replaced the pan gasket tonight and checked the fill tube O-ring, but it still leaks. I do not have the trans cooler, so its not leaking from there.

Anybody have any experience with this? I'm afraid I'm going to have to get another truck and I've only had this one since Oct. If I do get another, how can I trust a Dodge? My Dakota was awesome, the best truck I've ever had. The Ram is the most comfortable and capable truck I've owned, but these trans problems are unexceptable. I'd like to stick with a fullsize, but I can't find a stick shift Ram that isnt the utility version anywhere.

Thanks for the help,
Mike Styer
93 Dak (sold to DML member)
96 Ram

God, do I hate the smell of tranny fluid...