Re: gauge needle customization

From: Mike Meyerhoff (mike@mypants.org)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 12:13:38 EST

I changed the needles' color on my Conquest to match the Autometers I was
putting in.
I used 2000 grit wet/dry and a pen as a sanding block. Once I had the old
paint off I used a dremel and a polishing wheel to smooth the surface. Then
I mixed some colors of testors model paint to match and used a toothpick to
put it on.

The polishing step is critical to how it looks when done. You want it to be
as smooth and "glassy" as possible. But be careful the polishing wheel will
melt the plastic and it'll look bad.

mm

Be careful the polishing wheel can melt the plastic, and it will show once
painted.
I don't know how well it'll show up if clear.