2005 Dakota - More Info (cars.com)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 13:47:03 EST

http://www.cars.com/go/features/autoshows/story.jsp?autoshow=Chicago&autoshowyear=2004&story=coverage_02_04_04&aff=national

Sorry for the long URL

here is an excerpt

---------------

"Four-wheel drive comes standard with a part-time transfer case, and a
full-time four-wheel-drive mode is optional. The two- and
four-wheel-drive models share the majority of suspension components,
including the coilover shock front suspension. In turn, ride heights are
the same between the two- and four-wheel-drive models. The rear
suspension is a leaf spring setup revised from the current Dakota.

Like Dodge's Ram and Durango, the new Dakota features a fully boxed
frame. Its increased torsional rigidity will mean better handling, a
quieter ride and improved crashworthiness. The Dakota's octagonal
front-frame rail tips -- borrowed from the Durango -- absorb more energy
in an impact and are replaceable for better, easier, less expensive
collision repairs."

---------------

Ok this really chafes - The RIDE HEIGHTS ARE THE SAME!?!?! Good side to
that is its now coil over - which would allow for more flexibility when
implementing a suspension lift. Much easier to work with coils vs
torsion bars.

At least we finally get a fully boxed and hydroformed at that, frame.
As for my 2 cents on the body style - here goes. The more I look at the
truck the more I like it. I love the rear end - sorry to those who
don't like the after burner tail lights - I happen to think they look
great on the Dakota. The Front end I like - I'm not crazy about it -
but I like it - some aftermarket stuff might enhance its appearance. It
certainly does NOT look like Caddie front end. The side view is a
different matter. As I have never been a fan of Quad Cabs - this won't
come as a surprise to those who know what I am about to say heh. I do
not like the new Quad Cab - the body lines are less graceful now than
they were before, ant the truck looks even more out of proportion than
ever. However having said that - I DO like the lines and proportions of
the Club Cab. They seem to flow and look better. I welcome the rear
suicide doors. I am scornful of the interior as well - the sparse look
- - kinda sucks.

I can't wait to see it in person and I would love to test drive one. I
think I will be able to accept this new Dakota and maybe even love it
hehe. Afterall - there are those of us on the DML who are more partial
to certain year trucks than others heh. (Don't start a Gen Flame War!)

I'll say it again - seeing the truck in person will make or break it for me.