Re: 2005 Dakota - More Info (cars.com)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 16:08:00 EST

Terrible Tom said:

> Ok this really chafes - The RIDE HEIGHTS ARE THE SAME!?!?!

:-P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Good side to that is its now coil over

Weird (I'm talking about the 4x4 model here). I wonder whether they moved
the coil, axle shafts, or both.

> which would allow for more flexibility when
> implementing a suspension lift. Much easier to work with coils vs
> torsion bars.

Except you still have the same control arm setup (I'm assuming). I don't
see any real advantages. You can't just put a larger coil in there like
you can with a solid axle. You'll still have to re-locate the entire axle
as well as upper and lower control arms. At least with torsion bars you
could crank them back up if they started to sag with age. The only
problem I'm aware of with torsion bars in regards to lifting is that many
kits lower the rear mounting point of the bars, which impacts breakover
angle.