Re: Re: 2005 Dakota - More Info (cars.com)

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 16:50:29 EST

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, it kind've sucks to see the NVG going away - I wonder if
> they still make the transfer case? The 3000GT VR-4 I traded in
> on my '96 Dak had a Getrag 5-speed. Its supposed to be a sealed
> case and thus non-serviceable. Supposedly the SOP for fixing
> transmission problems was to trash can the old tranny and pop
> a new one in there, at a cost of $6K or so. That's one of the
> reasons I started to think about moving on to another vehicle when
> the warranty expired. ;-)

I know that Getrag does make transmissions that don't have sealed cases,
some of the berettas/corsicas/cavaliers with the 3.1L v6 from the earlier
90's had getrag 5 speeds in them, and they were fully serviceable.

Perhaps the transmission that Mitsu had chosen was one of the few sealed
case ones that Getrag offered?

> Hopefully this won't be the case with the Dak though, for
> future GenIV owners' sakes.

And for Dodge's sake too. If people are going to have to shell out $6k for
a transmission instead of just being able to rebuild it, that's going to bad
publicity for DC and they'll lose customers over time.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L