Re: FW: new car suggestions

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 11:33:38 EST

My sister has a 2003 Liberty that she purchased in hopes of getting better
mileage than the Explorer Sport Trac she had. It does but barely, she gets
17-18 mpg on a 25 mile mostly highway commute. She loves the vehicle though and
is much happier with it than the Ford.

Another sister has a 99 (I think) Stratus with the 2.4 liter 4cyl. Nice car no
problems but under powered with the 2.4 liter. I had an Avenger with the 2.5
liter v6 and it too was under powered. I have not driven a new one with the 2.7
or 3.0 v6's but they should be much better than the 2.5, you definitely will
want the v6. This car replaced a Nissan Sentra and she is much happier with it
than the Nissan.

I have no personal experience with Neons but my neighbor has had one for about
6 years now and the only issues was an oil leak on the cam seals.

If you want to stay in the mopar fold I recommend you take a look at a PT
Cruiser. We purchased an 03 PT GT turbo in May and my wife absolutely loves it.
She has been happier with this car than anything else we have owned. The plain
wrapper 2.4l 4cyl is under powered (the PT weights about the same as a Stratus)
but either the 180hp turbo available in the TE/LE models or the 220hp version
in the GT has more than enough power. We get about 25.5mpg on trips and my wife
gets about 22mpg back and forth to work (9 mile commute). The vehicle has a lot
of utility too. The back seats fold down, fold forward or can be unlatched and
removed like a mini-van.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4