Re: Winter Shenanigans @ Jons: Was Mopar Ed

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 09:15:18 EST

At 12:45 AM 2/11/04, you wrote:
>I'm picturing the driveway, in ice. but ice that some trucks can get up,
>and that same ice doesn't let another escape? I'm a bit confused.
>unless that snowbank either broke it or really, really ate it....
>Michael Maskalans

Jason went gingerly down first about halfway and stopped over on the left
side. I think that he was still in 2 wd and I thought that I saw his rear
twitch
just a little.

Jim went down slowly next and stop on the right side just before the garage
door.

I split the two of them and turned to park at the garage door. That's where
the ice was really bad but you couldn't see the ice as a thin layer of snow
had fallen on top. I couldn't made the grade to platform in front of the
door, began spinning and the rear began swinging out.

Jim began backing out with difficulty but managed to move it back a little.

I tried rocking (R and D on an auto.) to get me onto some traction (HA!).
I could back up since the slope is away from the barn.

I saw in my rear and driver's mirrors a spot (back where some park during
the BBQs) which had been plowed (?) and it had packed snow on it.
Problem was that the area to my pass. side had not been plowed
back to the same depth so there was a snowbank there and ran
up to where Jason had stopped.

There looked that there would be enough room to put my truck
on for traction. The rest of the area that had been plowed back
was sheer ice. OOPS! I got my driver's rear to stay in at the
snow's edge but went into the snowbank which had a gradual
buildup on the pass. side.

I got my shovel from the back and after taking snow and ice out of
my pass. side right exhaust pipe began shovelling myself out.

Jim in the meantime was beginning do some donuts and make
angels with his caddie :-)

About two hours later after Jim was out of the driveway and Jason
was in the garage, I went out for a smoke and decided to see if I
could make it to the garage door. Surprising I made it to the platform
without spinning but no further because of the ice. Jon and Jason
came to see what I was doing. I decided to see if I could get out
of the driveway. So, pretending I was going for a perfect, shallow
stage at the track, I feathered my way out of the driveway without
a spin :-)

It's taken me three days to come up with this scenario and I'm
sticking with it :-D

Bob