Re: race prep questions

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 17:46:06 EST

On Feb 11, 2004, at 13:51, Gabriel Couriel wrote:

> should i race with the tailgate up? tailgate down? tailgate gone???
> should i race with my spare tire (to even the weight)? i didn't have
> traction problems last time, but i don't want to start.
> what pressure should i inflate the tires to? these are radials
> (Firestone
> Indy 500), and last time i ran with them, i kept them at the
> recommended
> level. however, the time before, i lowered tire pressure to 20psi.
> what is
> the recommendation for street tires?

very non-pro answers from a non-expert:

if you can afford (traction-wise) the weight loss, pull the tailgate
and spare.

put your steers up to max pressure on the sidewall - less rolling
resistance

drop your drive pressures to hook up better, esp with reduced tail
weight. don't forget that this is a balance between hookup off the
line for ~100' and then rolling resistance for the other 1180'.

don't forget to pull all the crap out from behind your seat, try to
arrive with about 3/8 of a tank or so (fuel is heavy...), etc. if
you've got a drop-in bed wrecker that's probably good for another
30-40# too.

amateur's 2¢

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 360 (parked)         98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)