Re: OT: Microshaft in the news....again.

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 21:56:35 EST

"andy levy" <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote in message

> | The reason that consumer news doesn't report on what the exact
> | vulnerabilities are is because most consumers don't have any need for
that
> | information, nor would they know what to do with it if they received it.
>
> More the latter than the former. Get technical and the sheeple will
> tune out, and not patch their systems.

Right, like they patch their systems anyway. Nobody cares until somehting
bad happens to them.

> | Plus, giving that kind if info to the general public would also be
> giving it
> | to the virus creators.
>
> They already have it. And have for a while. MS was informed of this
> vulnerability 200 days ago. It's taken them that long to address it.
> This is what we get with closed source, single-source,
> deathgrip-controlled software.

True, but the specifics haven't been officially released, so whatever they
have is whatever they've managed to eek out from their sources or hack at by
themselves. I also would like to point out that if these certain
individuals had indeed discovered this hole over 200 days ago, as was
reported, there'd already be something to exploit it.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L