Re: more power an better mileage???

From: John Bell (dak@mama.indstate.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 17:53:59 EST

Y'all are gonna hate me...

I have one of those dinosaur 5.9L quad cabs. 4x4, full time transfer case,
3.92 gearing. In other words, not built for mileage.

Through trial and error over the last couple of years I've managed to get it
to where I consistently get 13.5mpg in the city and 18mpg at 70mph hwy
speeds.

I have the 24 gallon tank, and usually get around 160-170 miles on half a
tank of gas, give or take (don't really like to let it get below half a
tank if I can help it).

So by now you're probably saying, "well gee Uncle John, what's your secret?"

I run a Hypertech programmer at 93 octane level. Autolite 3923 plugs. 180
'stat. 8mm JBA wires. Intense performance intake kit tapped for a relocated
IAT (about 4" from the hat). Home brew port/polish throttle body with
Z-stud. No passenger side flap protector by the radiator (air goes straight
into the filter area). Final piece is a custom single 3" in/out catback
using a Magnaflow muffler (just straight necked bends, no mandrel goodness
- real cheap like).

Used to run synthetic but now I just change oil at 3k on the dot. Always
make sure my trans, transfer, and diffs have good fluid at the proper
level. Most importantly this truck never sees more than 1/3 of full
throttle unless I absolutely need it (even so it runs like a scalded ape,
keeping up with traffic while in "old man" mode is no issue). No jackrabbit
starts, whenever I do that I can literally watch the fuel gauge head left
pronto.

My buddy's G-tech is guestimating me at around 290hp/400lb-ft at the crank.
Sure the ol' QC isn't breathing fire but she's got grunt.

Anyway that's my data point. Pretend there's an eggshell between you and the
gas pedal, and you'll see your mileage go up (that's an old Jackie Stewart
driving trick, btw).

Have fun,

--
JB

Phillip Batson wrote: > > I average about 210 miles to a tank. That's just > everyday driving. If I babied it and didn't let the > revs go above 2k, I'd get a lot better mileage, but > I'd see a lot more birds as it takes a long time to > get up to speed that way! 8) > > --- Ed Estoppey <turbododge@rogers.com> wrote: >> >> I put a ported tb on my v6er along with a K&N gen 2 >> intake and flowmaster >> exhaust, when i babied the dak i got good mileage >> when i tramped on it, i >> got bad mileage, but good performance. I got a R/T >> now and its just about on >> empty now , i got 290 kms(180 miles) on this tank of >> fuel :( and i babied >> it.