Re: more power an better mileage???

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:33:10 EST

On Feb 17, 2004, at 17:53, John Bell wrote:

> Through trial and error over the last couple of years I've managed to
> get it
> to where I consistently get 13.5mpg in the city and 18mpg at 70mph hwy
> speeds.

I think that big spread is very indicative of where the gain comes from
- easy acceleration is key for economy, but regardless if you have to
start and stop you'll eat fuel.

I watch my gas gauge drop in city traffic - sometimes I'll eat the top
1/8th of the tank in the first 40 miles. when I'm on track for a great
tank, that can be almost 100 miles. I'm not so good about the "no
jackrabbit starts" as those of you who've ridden with me/ seen me drive
can certainly attest to.

however, I'm amazed at 18 on the open road with a 5.9/3.92/fulltime 4
quad cab.

I've hit 17 twice with my truck, both times driving across wisconsin on
2 lane roads, where I go about 60-62. I usually get low-to-mid 15s on
the road, and 12-13 around town. mileage goes up a bit when I run the
high octane superchips setup, but it nowhere near makes up for the
extra 15-20 cents/gallon. but when I've got the cash for gas, the
extra power is very nice.

Having looked at the aerodynamic testing stuff from UW [thought it was
UW, can't find it online - anyone else have the link?], I think my
topper can be to blame for a lot of that, since it's about the worst
thing you can do to airflow around a pickup....

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech