Re: RE: Amsoil in Manual tranny? WAS: RedLine MTL in T-case???

From: Kevin S. (ksellstr@softcom.nospam.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 22:59:27 EST

FWIW - From what I've found, GL5 is generally not a good choice in a
manual gearbox, even those spec'd for 90W. GL5 contains additives for
use with limited slip differentials (though not always/ever enough to
replace the full dose of friction modifier). These additives are
caustic and corrosive to brass and bronze - as found in trannies (the
material of choice for synchro rings), but not in differentials. GL4 is
the same quality of oil but without the additives, for those older gear
boxes. Better yet, run RedLine MT90 or a similar synthetic lube.

Also FWIW, Kerosene (as found as a solvent in WD-40) is corrosive to
Brass and Bronze as well. For this reason, graphite or silicone lubes
are generally recommended in lock cylinders (which have brass tumblers,
brass keys, and many other brass parts) rather than the old WD. This
from my locksmith, backed by technical articles in his trade journals.

Kevin

--
Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB      E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
             ***Wilton, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2, '69 Dodge D200, 4x2, 318,

Also: '83 Volvo 244Ti, '85 Volvo 244, '68 Volvo 122S, '98 Specialized Rockhopper A1FS