Re: RedLine MTL in T-case???

From: Kevin S. (ksellstr@softcom.nospam.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 23:18:47 EST

I stand corrected! The info I got from a trusted tech with many years
experience points me to the obvious...which I overlooked in this
consideration.

When NV started specifying ATF over gear lube in their t-cases was the
same time that they added the oil pump on the input shaft. The ATF has
the anti-foaming properties required of a forced lube system and which
are not "specifically" addressed by MTL or other manual tranny lubes.

That said, I've run MTL in my Volvo trannies with electric/hydraulic
overdrive units for years, combining with others who've run millions of
miles with no problems.

I doubt it'd cause a problem to run MTL in the t-case, but I think I'll
just stick with my C+ for simplicity sake and hope that the improved
performance/protection of the synthetic ATF is worth the price (still
cheaper than +4 from the dealer).

FYI - NV only recomends ATF, but are not specific as to brand or type
(Dexron, Mercon, 7176, etc.) so there may be cheaper alternatives to the
pricey Mopar juice that are just as good. The same T-cases are used by
Ferd, Chebby, etc and they use whatever type of ATF is used in the
matching tranny for simplicity sake. DC even specifies in the FSM the
use of "Dexron OR 7176+3/+4" in the NV 231 AND 242 t-cases.

I think RedLine's Dexron equiv is a little cheaper than C+, but not by
much as I recall.

Kevin

--
Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB      E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
             ***Wilton, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2, '69 Dodge D200, 4x2, 318,

Also: '83 Volvo 244Ti, '85 Volvo 244, '68 Volvo 122S, '98 Specialized Rockhopper A1FS