Re: V-6 to V-8 swap

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 17:45:34 EST

Neal Thompson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list so forgive my ignorance! I have an '87 dak 4x4
> with the 3.9 V-6 and an automatic. Since it has 130k on it and leaks
> it's time to take some action. What I'd like to do is swap in a 60's
> vintage 318 (overhauled of course), an overdrive automatic transmission
> (A518?) and replace the NP207 transfercase with an NP231.
>
> Here come the questions. Is it correct to assume that the 318 will
> bolt in? Will the NP231 just bolt in? And where can you find a
> transmission? I've looked for one but they don't seem to be out there.
> And what general pitfalls do I need to know about?
>
> Any help is appreciated!
> Thanks,
> Neal Thompson

You'll need something to activate the electronic controls for overdrive
and the lockup torque converter. I think either Jet or B&M makes a kit
that runs on engine vacuum. You'll probably need different engine
mounts. Schumacher Creative Services (http://engine-swaps.com/) will be
able to help you more with the engine swapping. As for the
trans/transfer-case mating up properly, I would think that the later V8
Dak's ('92-96, or until the swap to the electronic transmissions,
anyway,) would have the exact setup you're looking for. This would be
where someone with a 4x4 should step in and give the rest of the info. ;-)

Sounds like a nice project, by the way.