V-6 to V-8 swap

From: Neal Thompson (nealt@backtothebible.org)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 17:23:51 EST

Hi all,

I'm new to the list so forgive my ignorance! I have an '87 dak 4x4
with the 3.9 V-6 and an automatic. Since it has 130k on it and leaks
it's time to take some action. What I'd like to do is swap in a 60's
vintage 318 (overhauled of course), an overdrive automatic transmission
(A518?) and replace the NP207 transfercase with an NP231.

Here come the questions. Is it correct to assume that the 318 will
bolt in? Will the NP231 just bolt in? And where can you find a
transmission? I've looked for one but they don't seem to be out there.
And what general pitfalls do I need to know about?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Neal Thompson