Re: Contaminated oil

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 12:29:40 EST

Well, I stopped in at Mr. Lube again this morning after dropping a cat off
at the vet. I realize these quickie lube places can be pretty overpriced,
but I went there anyway because they're right next door to the vet and
they weren't busy, which made it convenient.

They said that it looked like there had been some condensation in the
crankcase (which is consistent with what Bob posted). Probably due to a
low oil level which left room for the condensation to form.

They did manage to collect a sample for me to send to Blackstone. The
sample looked like used motor oil instead of chocolate milk, so at least
it wasn't through all the oil like I had feared.

I did let them do a chemical flush treatment, as well as put an extra
additive in the new oil (something called "Kleen-Flo TKO Friction
Shield"). That stuff might be snake oil, but I figured I'd give it a shot
and see for myself. They said it would prevent further condensation, as
well as clean some of the gunk off my valves and lifters and quiet down
the clattering that I've been trying to figure out. Like I said, we'll
see. I also let them put in a new PCV valve (could have saved about $1 at
Cdn Tire, but I was already there).

They also wanted to change all the driveline fluids (typical) so I told
them that I just did everything myself, which isn't far from the truth.
They tested the battery and said it was bad even though it's working fine.
 I'll have that checked someplace that won't overcharge for a replacement.

One interesting thing was when they tested the coolant. Bear with me, I
don't fully remember what they said, but there was something about it
being almost all glycol and becoming acidic, which would cause it to eat
away the cooling system from the inside. Also, he said that it wasn't
showing any thermal protection. Which was strange, because when Bob
tested it his tester showed it was in good shape.

> Have you had smoke coming out of your exhaust?

Not that I've noticed.

> Any change in
> performance (you wild, crazy speed demon :)) or gas kilometerage?

MPG seems to have gone up slightly since the thermostat change, but the
readings did include the two-hour highway drive to Jon's. It's been
fairly low all winter (15-ish).

> Was
> the oil showing low on the dipstick?

Hard to say with all that gunk on there, but it did look low.

> How's your coolant level?

Fine.

> Might Mr. Lube have changed the supplier for the oil they put in on your
> last visit?

That was the first time I had ever been there. They used Castrol GTX High
Mileage 10W30 (same stuff again today).

> dude, forget about paying someone to change your oil, just do it
> yourself. :)

Yeah... that sounds like fun, doesn't it? Tell you what, I'll even let
you come over and do it for me.