Re: Contaminated oil

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 11:43:51 EST

Bob Tom wrote:

> Hey dude ... :-)
>
>> So, I thought I'd check my oil in the '95 tonight, and found a nasty
>> surprise:
>> Questions: what might have caused this, can I prevent it from happening
>> again, or am I going to need something repaired soon?
>

> Hard to say if there are anything lumpy or wiggling on the dipstick :-)
>
> The dark stuff was most likely caused from the rich condition that you had
> because of the failed O2 sensor and the partly stuck opened 180F tstat.
> I don't recall how long you were running with that rich though.
>
> Probably water is mixed in there as well from condensation from sitting or
> making frequent short trips without the engine reaching operating temps.
> We know that it wasn't reaching close to op. temp. because of the tstat
> and it was sitting for a spell when the two of you made your Christmas
> trip :-(
>
> Just as an example of how much condensation can build up from sitting.
> When Jon put a weep hole into the new muffler, he said that a good 3
> tablespoons of water came out just after 2-4 min. of idling. And the new
> muffler had been sitting in the box in the barn since late Nov. or early
> Dec.!
>
> Get the oil and filter change done. Then I would monitor the dipstick
> and probably do another change within a month. I would also consider
> going to full synthetic and getting the pcv valve changed if it hasn't been
> done recently.
>
> I didn't notice anything usual coming out of your exhaust pipe when
> we convoyed to Angel's, umm Jon's, but Jim was between us and
> all I saw most of the time was Jim weaving back and forth in his lane :-P
>
> BTW, I commend you for having the courage of putting those pics
> up on the web for all to see :-) :-)
>
> Bob

Hey Jason - I will echo what others have said - get a sample to
Blackstone - they will be able to tell you if that's coolant or what.
What Bob was saying about condensation makes sence - however it looks
like you have more moisture in the oil than I would think could be
normal build up. Then again - as Bob pointed out The Knight sat for
more time than it was driven between the three months and 3K miles since
your oil change. The first thing I thought of when I was the pics was a
blown head gasket. I've never seen anything like that come out of
either of my 3.9L engines. And they have sat for extended periods
unstarted/undriven.

| And in case you're planning on posting "dude, forget about paying
| someone to change your oil, just do it yourself"... here's a picture of
| the only parking place I have:
| http://home.primus.ca/~janor/dakota/driveway.JPG

dude, forget about paying someone to change your oil, just do it
yourself. :)

- --
- -andy

Jason, I can let you in on a little phrase you can use to make his life
a nightmare if he does stuff like that again heheheh