Re: V-6 to V-8 swap

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 12:30:59 EST

Tony Cellana wrote:
> Another option is to swap the front clip off a Gen II to gain the added
> room.
> TonyC

That I am soooo dead set against. It would be totally pointless. For
all the effort and money put into converting a premag Gen I over to a V8
and swapping a front clip, it would be cheaper and easier to just BUY a
Gen II with a V8. Nuh uh... Anyone that does that to a Gen I should be
subjected to having to drive a 3 Cyl Geo Metro around Daytona for eternity.

Neal - I have done extensive research into this very project. I have
two 1989 Daks - both with Premag 238CI's (3.9L's). My 4x4, Christine,
and my 2wd.

A 238/318/360 is basically the same thing when it comes to bolting then
up in a Gen I Dak. Motor mounts are the same etc. You have an 87 -
which is carbed... don't have to worry about the computer for fuel
injection. (you still have the OBD I computers etc but nothing that
controls fuel injection)

As for transmissions - stick with manual (hydraulic) controlled valve
body transmissions. Something like a 46RH (the H stands for hydraulic
valve body - 46RE would be electronically controlled) I think the 518
is a 46RH... but I am not positive. Trans mounts should be the same but
don't quote me on it. Assuming your 318 transplant is putting out
stock'ish amounts of power - a 518 tranny should do fine.

The cooling issue is not that big a deal. As has been said before - the
installation of a V8 into a Gen I will leave about an inch or so of
space between the radiator and the front of the engine. Aftermarket
electric fans are easily available that will stick between the grill and
the outside of the radiator. Best part is on highway driving when you
have sufficient air flow to cool the engine, you won't even need the fan.

One other thing you might want to do when adding a V8 to a Gen I 4x4 is
to change out the torsion bars with those from a Gen I. Walt Felix did
this and so have I. The V8 bars are thicker in diameter and have a
higher capacity than the stock bars. They are a direct replacement.

Torsion Bar 2000 lb.8 cly -- 1991-1996 Right -- Part # 4322 518
Torsion Bar 2000 lb.8 cly -- 1991-1996 Left -- Part # 4322 519

Have a look at Walt's site - he also has done lots of research on Gen I
engine and suspension options.

http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/modifications.html