Re: RE: Red Line Lubricants

From: Kevin S. (ksellstr@softcom.nospam.net)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 01:19:40 EST

I've run Red Line for a long time and rarely needed to add additional
friction modifier. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing
here, I've found that out the hard way. The only LSD I've ever needed
to add the modifier into was an Auburn, which only needed 1 oz.
Straight RedLine is fine in the Dana's, true-trac's, and e-lockers.

The RedLine 75W90 has friction modifier in it already and should be fine
for the factory LSD. I've run it straight in five Mopar LSD units with
no problems whatsoever. I'd recomend trying the lube straight, then add
some modifier only IF it needs it. I bought a bottle of the red-line
stuff and was strongly cautioned to add only a very little bit at a
time...1 oz. at a time at most! I'm sure you'll be fine without, but if
you want to, carry the bottle with you for a while just in case.

Don't forget to turn a dozen or so tight figure "8"'s to get it all
circulated into the clutch packs.

FWIW - My truck came from the factory with friction modifier in the open
FRONT axle, and none in the LSD REAR axle...made for some interesting
driving - especially in the rain.

Kevin

--
Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB      E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
             ***Wilton, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2, '69 Dodge D200, 4x2, 318,

Also: '83 Volvo 244Ti, '85 Volvo 244, '68 Volvo 122S, '98 Specialized Rockhopper A1FS