Re: OT - NVT geek question about scanners

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 01:59:12 EST

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:41:17 -0500, DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us ("BARRY
OLIVER") wrote:
>Ok, this question came from a cursory examination of the tags at Compusa and Bestbuy. Most of the tags on the scanners I saw had bullet points for resolutions in the neighborhood of 9600x9600, and all sported 48 bit color depth, some were in the $60-100, others were $300-500. I'm not pickey as to brand...

Here's a quick reference:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Scanners/4520-3136_7-5020735-1.html?tag=wtlf

There's a lot of things that can be different... the scan element
being one of them. Also, I've noticed that the really cheap ones will
only handle letter size documents, but even the slightly more
expensive ones will sometimes handle larger.

Brand also comes into play, as some brands always think their product
is superior and therefore worth more money (HP comes to mind).

In terms of recent scanners, I've used the cheap Canon ones (not
impressed at all -- extremely flimsy and poorly built... and buggy
drivers) and an Epson. The Epson works well, and the scans are
extremely high quality.

Prior to that, we had an HP Scanjet 4C at work (excellent scanner...
durable, reliable, high quality -- still works now but it's a SCSI
scanner and just isn't as convenient as USB) and I had a UMAX Vista
S6E at home. The UMAX was also a great scanner, though I wouldn't
rank it quite as high as the HP.

-Bill