Re: tonneau cover

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 02:29:43 EST

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:45:03 -0500, cantgofastenough@hotmail.com
("Jetski _") wrote:
>hey everyone. i tried posting on a couple forums but i havent had any luck
>in anyone responding so i'm hoping for your info. I have been looking
>around at numerous tonneau covers, from snap, to roll up, retractable and
>solid. I work and do remodeling side jobs and i need something that i can
>lock in some way. I had been looking at the extang roll up low profile
>tonneau cover, which latches with a clip at the end. The i was going to buy
>a keyed tailgate handle. The tonneau is going to run me 500 from my lock
>rhino linings dealer. I am interested if anyone has this cover for pictures
>and info on this. Any other ideas would help, i'd rather have a roll up
>style to keep from removing a hard cover a lot and storing it. I hope to
>hear from some of you soon, thanks.

Ok, if you're thinking of something that locks, there are other issues
to consider also.

A hard tonneau will provide you with the greatest durability in that
respect. A soft tonneau can be easily cut, a snap type can be easily
ripped up, etc. So if you need that security, you should definitely
go with a hard cover or a roll up type that makes a hard(er) surface
when it rolls out. (Not even sure if those exist -- though I'm pretty
sure I've seen them)

Also, the tailgate is another potential problem. Since they don't
have locks from the factory, you'd have to add something. Even if
your tonneau locks from the top, the tailgate can still be opened.
(In fact, with my Downey LTD, that's how you release the latch that
holds the cover down...)

The "out of sight, out of mind" aspect will help you no matter what,
of course... but it still makes me nervous to leave close to $1000
worth of boating and water skiing stuff in the back of my truck with
the cover if we stop to eat or something. I try to park so I can see
the truck from inside :-)

-Bill