Re: Contaminated oil

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 08:02:11 EST

At 10:30 PM 2/19/04, you wrote:
> >I don't know if theres an exact procedure for it, but I would think if you
> >disconnected your coil and cranked it over a few times you could get the
> >remaining oil out of the block once you've drained the oil from the pan.>
>
>Greg, I asked this a few years ago also. I've been doing that same procedure
>for years. I'll get about half a cup of dirty oil. Then I'll pour a little
>clean oil into the block and that helps to get out some of the slop on the
>bottom of the pan. When I did ask it I got the cold shoulder back then and
>answers to the affects of "wasting your time" and "change the oil more often
>if you want cleaner oil". But to this day I still do it. -Y2KOTA-

Must have missed it but, at my age, you miss a LOT of things :-( Cranking
he motor while the coil wire is disconnected at either end builds up oil
pressure
but doesn't the oil but not the pistons. Good habit to get into when doing
oil and
filter change. I got this into my routine back when I had muscle cars of
the 70s.
Biggest wear is when the motor is first started. Helps to reduce the wear
if there's
some oil up at the piston rings :-P I crank until the dummy oil light went
out,
then hook the coil wire back up and start up.

Bob