Re: it's tire time

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 23:41:02 EST

andy levy wrote:

> | 72k on the wranglers is pretty good but I'm not hard on the dak. Not
> | smoking the tires or jumping curbs ;-) Wranglers are rated as 60k tires
> | so whoever burned them out at 30k must be doing some track work hahaha.
>
> Well, they're a very hard compound, which helps on the treadlife. I
> ditched mine at 28K because they had lost grip far, far too many times
> in the snow (and yes, I was driving cautiously), and I just didn't want
> to keep taking that risk. Nearly becoming a statistic once was enough
> for me.

Try finding 275/70/17 sneakers. Guess who makes that size only?
Badyear. In either At or MT/R flavors. Guess what truck uses those
size tires? MY RAM! Truck hat 35,942 miles and assuming they were the
stock tires - (dont know if they offered mud terrain tread as stock -
but assumng they were on the truck from very early in its life - they
have not laster that long - but then again they are MT treads.

I refuse to get Goodyears again. Like andy - I have encountered serious
wet/winter traction issues with this truck. Throw in a LSD and its a
squirrel on speed. They are virtually bald now. Have agonized over
repalcements... I was going to go with BFGs in 315/70/17 - tirerack had
a sale - but they are back up to normal price - $180-something each -
cannot afford that. Might have to go 285/75/17 or something like that.
  Will require speedo adjustments then - arugh. Revos are not in that
many sizes yet and no 17's that I can find. Have pondered changing
wheels to 16 or 15 - but can't afford that either.