Re: Small Spare on LSD

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 06:07:56 EST

On Feb 22, 2004, at 22:05, JAMEPC@aol.com wrote:

> My spare is about 2" shorter than what's on the truck (so it can fit
> between
> my dual exhaust). Would there be any harm in driving on this for an
> extended
> time (over 100 miles) on the rear axle with my Trac-Lok? Would the
> clutches
> wear or over heat?

I'd call 2" a big difference. if you ever loose a tire, put the spare
on the front. Assuming a 28" tire versus a 30" tire, that's about a 7%
difference in circumference, and I don't think you could ever turn
sharp enough to make that big a difference.
(28*pi)/(30*pi)=.9333

okay, I'm wrong.... assuming a turning circle of 40 feet (sounds
close, I really have no idea what it is) the outside rear would be on a
diameter of about 50-52 feet, which would make for a 20%
differential...
(40*pi)/(50*pi)=.8

So if you think your LSD would not complain about turning in a 100'
circle for 100 miles, don't worry about it. Looking at it in those
terms, I'm not sure I see a problem, but with that said I bought a new
spare tire with my new rubber in december that is within 2 revolutions
per mile, and I think that piece of mind was worth the extra hundred
dollars.

I'd put it on the front if I ever needed it.

BTW - how close to your exhaust does the tire get? I was a little
worried since my 32"x11.5" spare gets to within about half an inch to
an inch of my tailpipe, but the little new tire nubs haven't even
curled up right next to it, so it seems not to care.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 360 (parked)         98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)