Re: Functional Cowl Hood?

From: brett4hand@hotmail.com
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 18:51:39 EST

In article <96.4297ae2.2d6bb810@aol.com>, JAMEPC@aol.com writes:

> All this talk about ram air has re-ignited my interest in finding a setup to
> make my AAR Cowl Hood functional on my Gen II. The hole is already there but
> I can't find anyone that has a cold air setup. Right now all I have is a K&N
> open element. Any Ideas?
> Thanks,
> James

I've looked around quite a bit for parts and such to make one work. A lot of
the stuff is available as repro, but is a little pricey. Here's a site for
some Chevy stuff:
http://www.autoobsession.com/CowlInd.html

TonyC has fabbed up a sheetmetal one, but his is on a GenIII AAR hood, so your
dimensions are going to be a little different. He could give you a good
starting point, though.

I'd still like to see one made up from aluminum sheet (like the NASCAR guys
have), but it's very expensive to do unless you have a buddy that's a
fabricator that will work for beer! I still think the easiest and cheapest way
to fab one up (and have it look nice) would be to go the route I mentioned in a
fiberglass and steel hoods that are being sold, you would think someone would
be making a generic air-box at a *reasonable* price by now.

Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota Sport CC 5.2 Auto