Re: First oil change on 3.7L 4x4

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 23:09:41 EST

At 06:52 PM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
>On 3/2/2004 2:25 PM, Korey Atterberry wrote:
>

>| Andy-
>| You're correct on all counts. That access door MIGHT help, but as
>| you said, it's about 1 cylinder toward the rear of the truck from the
>| opening. It's positioned just far enough back that it looks like it's
>| going to drain all over that plastic shield... (IIRC - I'm not under
>| the truck at the moment).
>
>I think it'll hit something other than the shield, but I don't have a
>good mental picture of the region. Regardless, it's gonna suck. Good
>luck getting leverage on the filter to break it free.

Oh yes, it's going to suck alright. I had to take the plastic shield off
completely in order to get enough leverage to get the filter off the first
time I did it. (That's the same time I started using the K&N filters that
will take a 1" wrench instead... makes life a lot easier.)

The first time you do it, pretty much no matter what, you're going to end
up spilling oil from the filter. And probably a lot of it. Cut up a
cardboard box and lay it underneath the truck (unless you don't care about
what's underneath the truck.. I did it in my garage, so I cared..). It'd
also be good to fold a bunch of paper towels and position them directly
under the point where the filter meets the mounting boss. Then, get a 2L
soda bottle, cut the top half off, and position it under there. You'll
probably want to notch the bottle so that you can get it right up under the
mounting boss to catch the oil as it comes out. I've also cut a notch in
mine on the other side so that I can spin the filter off slowly while
keeping the bottle completely up there.

It took me about 45 minutes to do it this time, but I didn't get a drop of
oil on the floor. The time it took is nothing for me to be proud of, but
I'm definitely proud of myself for not dripping any oil like I did last time.

Good luck Korey. Expect the worst as far as the filter change goes and
then you might be prepared for it.

-Bill