Re: Re: Oil pan removal??

From: Steve Mills (srm804@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 13:19:03 EST

To get back to the original question,you can't replace the oil pan gasket on
a Gen ll 2wd with the engine in.There is simply not enough room to clear the
oil pump!I had to cut the gasket and fish it in, and no it did not leak at
the cut!I spent the better part of a weekend with this nightmare!On that
monday I drove about 150 miles and lost a quart of synthetic oil out the
front of the pan.I then drained it and replaced it with dino and the leak
stopped!I ask you,wouldn't it be easier to change your oil and see if it
stops, than deal with the gasket nightmare? In response to your reply.I
removed the original "new tech" silicone gasket and replaced it with a "new
tech" silicone gasket from Chrysler.
Furthermore comparing a Corvette to a Dakota is "apples to oranges". (not
that I would buy a Gm POS anyway).Wouldn't it stand to reason that if an
engine comes with synthetic, it would be designed to use synthetic? How many
Corvettes are built each year compared to Dakotas.What is the extent of care
and engineering for each one.What is the cost?
I'm simply saying,if you have a high mileage Magnum and you start using
synthetic,your seepage may become leakage!