Re: All this trans talk has gotten me thinking.....

From: greg conner (dodgeboy93@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 10:44:33 EST

You shouldnt have a problem flashing the auto vin into the manuel pcm.
There is not a digit in the vin that displays tranny type. A junkyard rear
from a 00 and up 3.9 5speed or a 97 and up 318 5speed with a 8 1/4 rear will
work fine. Most shops will however make you a custom driveshaft for around
150 bucks. Just look to see which way is going to be cheaper. The crank
sensor does read marks on the flywheel/flexplate to get crank position for
the pcm. It is located on the passengers side rear of the block and extends
down into the bellhousing. The flywheel and flexplate are different sizes
however. The automatic crank sensor has to extend further into the
bellhousing to read the marks since the flexplate is a smaller diameter than
the flywheel. trying to bolt the auto sensor on to a manuel truck would
result in the sensor hitting the flywheel.

Greg Conner
1996 RC
3.9 hybrid