Re: Re: Slightly OT: DaimlerChrysler being sued

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 13:05:46 EST

Josh Battles wrote:
> "andy levy" <andy-dml@levyclan.us> wrote in message
>

>>I won't get into the dirty details, but basically this bunch of
>>crackmonkeys (SCO) claims that intellectual property they own is in
>>Linux, and therefore anyone using Linux owes them wads of cash. So,
>>they sued IBM over it, because IBM has made very large contributions to
>>Linux and many of them in the areas that SCO claims have been tainted.
>>However, SCO has yet to prove any of their claims, and IBM has even
>>refuted many of them. SCO has no case, they also have no business
>>model, they are just staying afloat on lawsuits and extorting money from
>>Linux users.
>

> That's just comical. Did you read all the stories/interviews that came out
> when SCO sued Linus Torvalds? It was pure comedy gold.

What's even better is the story I found last night also on Groklaw that
SCO is having to submit documentation to a DOJ website/system that runs
Linux itself!

>>The filing against DC:
>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20040303182714835
>>The filing against AZ:
>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20040303193037634
>

> So, is this site hosted on a 56k line or what? Over the T3 here at work it
> took forever to load.

Groklaw is a nearly daily victim of the slashdot effect.

>>The whole situation would be hilarious if it wasn't sucking so many
>>resources from the legal system. IBM probably could have settled the
>>whole thing out of court, but they want to lay the smack down on SCO.
>

> I sure hope so, SCO deserves to go down for this string of lawsuits. I
> don't understand the logic behind filing all these unfounded suits, and
> incurring all the legal costs for them to all be either dismissed or have
> SCO lose in court. They haven't won a single one yet have they? It seems
> like a big risk for a company with shaky financials to be taking.

Not only has SCO not won yet, none of their cases have reached a
conclusion yet (AFAIK).