RE: All this trans talk has gotten me thinking.....

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (fasstdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 20:19:25 EST

VIN does matter if you have either VTSS or SKIM/SKREEM (Remote Keyless
or Vehicle Theft). Since the Dakota's don't use a true body controller
(just a Central Timer Module)...the VIN doesn't matter on that, but it
does check the Cluster and SKIM for VIN identification.

If the PCM comes without a VIN, you may get a "No BUS" message on your
cluster (seen this on a 2000 and 2001 R/T with a PCM swap)...only way to
clear that is to program the VIN.

- Bernd